The expensive buy that carpets are makes one not only cherish these items but also want to keep them stay at their best all through the year. But one would indeed be happy to know that it is possible to keep the carpet looking good and new even after a number of years. All you have to do is make sure that the cleaning products and the practices you use are correct. You absolutely do not need to fill your house with toxins which accompanies the use of chemicals meant for cleaning carpet. You can easily avail cleaning processes that are eco-friendly and effectively remove the stains, while keeping off debris and dirt.
Maintenance: The key to maintaining your carpet is regularity of the maintenance process and it is the only way its appearance of being brand new can be retained. Here are a few ways to maintain your carpet:
- Regularly vacuum the carpet.
- Hot water extraction which is also called stream cleaning method should be used.
- You can easily find carbonated water in the market which will help the dust to bubble up and bring it to the upper layers of fiber. Hence you can just use carbonated water to clean the carpets and forget about ever having to resort to chemicals.
- Odors can be removed from the carpet by sprinkling baking soda on it and then for about thirty minutes you have to let it stand on the carpet, after which the carpet has to be vacuum cleaned. Baking soda also acts as an anti-bacterial agent.
- White vinegar is what helps in removing pet odor. Dab the carpet with a little white vinegar and rub the pet stains gently, which will help remove both the stains and odor. Then thoroughly dry the carpet.
Tips: In order to keep the soil, debris and other dirt away from the carpet, there are certain valuable tips you should learn which will considerably reduce your workload.
- The entrance of your house should have doormats which will ensure that your carpet is dirt-free.
- Ask your guests and family members to remove their shoes before entering the house.
- Putting a rug or mat underneath the carpet will increase its life manifold.
- To prevent creating permanent stains out of spills you should clean, dry them immediately.
- Do not rub while cleaning the wet stains which might otherwise get the stains into fibers, causing them to become permanent. Use a damp lint-free cloth to gently dap the stains.
Considerations: However, there are certain considerations you should keep in mind while using green carpet cleaning methods. When buying ingredients for your carpet, like shampoos and other products, you should make sure that the ingredients are healthy. You can go for different citrus solvents and other non-petrochemical solvents. There are various green home stores and eco-friendly cleaning companies that you can resort to. While buying carpet cleaners, do make sure that they are not acidic as some products can be toxic for both pets and human beings. Lastly, National Institutes of Health’s Household Product Database has a website which can provide complete information regarding your carpet cleaning shampoo, including the ingredients used. Make sure you check the product there. Environment-friendly or green carpet cleaning methods are advantageous for your health, the Earth and also for your pocket.
Common Mistakes: There are many common mistakes that you should avoid while choosing your cleaners.
- Try to avoid using poisonous solvents that can possibly seep through the skin and cause damage to various body organs or blood.
- Carpet can feel sticky when using a lot of detergent on it, so instead you can opt for hot water to clean your carpet.
- Ensure that your carpet does not remain wet for more than twelve hours and you can use ventilation, heater or fans to speed up the process of drying, which might otherwise become the breeding ground for bacteria and mold.
Therefore, choose eco-friendly methods to keep your carpet clean and stay healthy in a safer environment.