Ablett’s social media blackout
Gary Ablett says he has quit social media after constant speculation about his future and backlash from a lacklustre performance against Greater Western Sydney.
The dual Brownlow medallist received heavy criticism for a performance described as ‘uninterested’ in the Suns’ 102-point loss to the Giants in round two.
Ablett says the most frustrating aspect is the false information presented by the media.
“The biggest thing is you know whoever has written that article does not have all the facts and is misinformed, that can be a bit disappointing,” he said.
“I need to focus on the things that I can control, that’s turning up and improving.”
Ablett’s future has been the subject of speculation ever since he requested a trade back to his former club Geelong late last year. On Thursday he spoke to Nine Network’s The Footy Show about his plans.
“I thought I was honest with the football club and the media about the reasons why I requested a move back to Geelong,” Ablett said.
“That was for family reasons.”
On Tuesday he confirmed if his personal issues were not resolved by the end of the year he would “pretty much” retire or move to Victoria.
Ablett has a glimmer of hope for Suns fans, however, stating that if the issues are resolved at the end of the season he may play for the club next year.